Sunday, March 8, 2015

The Thank You Series, Part 5 of 7

The clocks went ahead one hour this morning, a sure sign that Spring is around the corner. What's also sure is that at some point in the coming season of renewal, this 1949 Chevy truck will roll down the road under its own power for the first time in 31 years, with me driving it for the first time ever. If you're new here, please check out "John's Old Truck - The Whole Story" to learn exactly how much that means to me. And one more sure thing is the fact that it would absolutely not be happening without some special people who have so graciously contributed their time and talent to help this total restoration amateur live a lifelong dream. To recognize these key contributions, I came up with the "Thank You Series."

Part 5 of 7: Steve
When I set about cleaning up the rear part of the frame on the truck, I was pretty sure we couldn't ignore the daylight that was visible where it shouldn't be on the right frame rail. Not knowing whether I'd need a new frame or if the existing one was fixable, I posted a few pictures online. Steve responded, we talked a few times and he came by to check out the truck. Eventually he was over here with a borrowed trailer and we loaded 'er up for the ride over to his place, where he did the welding fix.


video documenting the frame fix


Steve has since also mounted the front disc brake kit I got from Speedway Motors, is fabricating a mount for the new dual feed master cylinder (these trucks came with a single feed mc from the factory) and will run the new brake lines for me. And like all the other key figures in this story, he doesn't want a thing in return. “Just paying it forward,” he says. “Let me come check out the radio station some day.” Pretty sure I can make that happen, Steve! Thanks again so much for all your help.

Steve and his '38 Chevy are a regular fixture on cruise night at the Sycamore Drive-In Restaurant in my hometown of Bethel, Connecticut. I can't think of a better place to make our first stop when we finally get on the road. Looking forward to those summer Saturday nights!


###

No comments: