Thursday, January 19, 2012

Barrett-Jackson Auction: Droolin' & Dreamin'

61 DAYS TO SPRING!

The latest Barrett-Jackson auction is happening this week in Scottsdale, Arizona. I've been watching a lot of it live on Speed Channel, drooling and dreaming the whole time. I've seen some amazing cars and trucks so far, but they always save the really good, top dollar stuff for the last couple of days. If you're a fan of the classics, you should really check it out. Having to listen to the barking auctioneer in the background while the Speed guys talk about the vehicles can get a little tedious, but it's bearable. And if need be, you can just turn down the sound and look.

Of course, marveling at all the perfect looking pieces of automotive yesteryear is the biggest part of the whole thing, but I also marvel at the size of the crowd, and the fact that the people bidding on these classics, who all outwardly appear to be just regular schmoes like you and me, are throwing around tens of thousands of dollars without blinking an eye. Just goes to show that you should be nice to everybody – you never know who's got all the money!

On the job front: I missed the cut on the emergency dispatcher job by less than 4 percentage points. Needed 90% on the written test to be considered, ended up with 86.25%. 173 people applied for the position, and 124 actually showed up for the test. All for ONE position. Don't know how many made the 90%... Still waiting to hear either way about the full time radio gig I auditioned for last week. Judging from the interaction we've had so far, I really don't think they would blow me off without saying anything if I didn't get the job, and I'm pretty sure they haven't hired anyone else yet. Gotta hope there's still a chance.

Stay tuned for next week's post, when we could very well be marking another significant milestone in the ongoing story of John's Old Truck!

###

No comments: