Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Slight Change in Direction

Thanks to an exciting and unexpected opportunity, I've decided to alter the approach of the GoFundMe campaign. Those who have been to the page previously will notice that the goal amount has been drastically reduced. This is mainly because I have managed to acquire a running, driving 1991 Chevy S10 at a very reasonable cost. Those familiar with late 40's - early 50's GM truck projects like mine will know that the chassis of this S10 is really what we're after, and it is in fantastic shape. Having all the necessary parts already in place (5 speed manual transmission, drive shaft, rear end, and modern suspension front and rear) greatly reduces overall project cost.


The S10 wheelbase is the same as the existing '49 chassis, so with some minor fabrication we will be able to simply remove the 90's truck body and replace it with the '49. When the chassis swap is finished the truck will look exactly the same as it does today.

We'll still need a complete interior (including all gauges, heat, & ac) rewiring from end to end and a complete rebuild of the planned 350 GM engine that will get us across the country and back (which currently sits in pieces on a shelf at Custom Conversions in New Milford, CT). I will be able to do some of the work myself, but most will be well beyond my skill level, so labor costs will be significant. And of course there's also the overall expense of the trip itself. I'm fairly sure 10k will cover it all. If not, I suppose we'll have to cross that bridge when we come to it.

I have to say that I struggled with the idea of a chassis swap for a long time, because it obviously removes a major part of the truck that I fell in love with 35 years ago. But the natural way this opportunity presented itself leads me to believe that Mom would approve. Those familiar with the story of this truck in our family know that the project and road trip dream have always been a tribute to her memory.

If you're not familiar with the full story, please visit the GoFundMe page to read it in its entirety. And of course if you would like to help the cause with a contribution or a simple share of the GoFundMe link I would truly appreciate it. Please feel free to email me directly anytime via the link on the right here with any questions.

Thanks very much and we'll see y'all down the road!


###

No comments: